Choosing foods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Choosing foods

What types of non perishable foods are out there that are nutritious, and take up little space, but provide a high ratio of calories/serving. Food that lasts long, can sustain you, and has plenty of calories per size fo keep it compact. Drop some ideas

I don’t know. Most of my food storage is freeze dried or canned, but I try to store the stuff I know my daughter and I will like. I’m not picky but she is. She’s 5. My thought process is why fight her. Store things she eats. Mac and cheese for example. During the boogaloo you already have a ton of stress to deal with. Why add to that by having a picky eater not want to eat your stored stuff. If it’s just you do you.

Comment

Originally posted by Waingro47274 View Post
      I don’t know. Most of my food storage is freeze dried or canned, but I try to store the stuff I know my daughter and I will like. I’m not picky but she is. She’s 5. My thought process is why fight her. Store things she eats. Mac and cheese for example. During the boogaloo you already have a ton of stress to deal with. Why add to that by having a picky eater not want to eat your stored stuff. If it’s just you do you.
      DITTO

store what you eat.

I would also suggest that you buy some of the sample packs from the freeze dried / food storage companies and try them out and see what you like.

Our family loves Mountain house foods and hate wise foods

Comment

I did not like Wise. Pretty gross. I like mountain house and backpackers pantry

Comment

The idea is to have something that is proportionally smaller in size but higher in nutrients and calories that I can make myself when commercial products are no longer made. Maybe something that I can easily grow/hunt myself then jar or can. Something, a specific meal/recipe that has most/all nutrients needed for survival that is able to be grown in large quantities and then preserved. Than it can be packed lightly when out and about, but have an entire stash of food back home that is very high in calories/nutrients. I could have 30 cans of food that totals (throwing out a very random number) 10,000 calories and not have it be a complete meal, or 30 cans of food that totals (random number again) 30,000 calories and have most, if not all, nutrients and vitamins present.
          Last edited by M68W19; 10-08-2019, 03:13 PM.

Comment

I went to an Appleseed marksmanship clinic last weekend. For breakfast day 2 I had a Mountain House "Biscuits and Gravy" two-serving. It was outstanding...delicious, filling, and fueled me up all day. I didn't even get hungry again until 9 at night. Very impressed.

Comment

What part of the states are you in?

Comment

I ask for the part of your question where you mentioned hunting/growing

Comment

Working...
                X